Never Miss Another Issue
Subscriptions always start with the next issue. We publish in the Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. To that end, subscriptions purchased after June 7th will start with Issue 13 (October 2022).
ADC Annual Awards Nominations for Full Magazine, Magazine Story, and Design for Good Publication, 2022
National Magazine Awards Nominations for Best Magazine (news, business, and general interest) and Artistic Direction Grand Prix, 2022
Stack Magazine Awards Nomination for Best use of photography, 2019
Art Direction Grand Prix, National Magazine Awards, 2019-2020-2021
Grafika Award, 2017
Past contributors include:
- Chris Burkard, photographer
- Yvon Chouinard, founder Patagonia
- Sheila Watt-Cloutier, Indigenous leader
- Dave Courchene, Indigenous leader
- Matthieu Dugal, science journalist
- Dan O’Brien, farmer, falconer and author
- Shelma Jun, climber and founder, Flash Foxy
- Ellen MacArthur, sailor and entrepreneur
- Sarain Fox, activist
- Bernie Krause, sound ecologist
- Michael Pollan, author
- Liz Plank, journalist, Vox
- Chelsea Vowel, fiction author
- Philip Cheung, photojournalist
- Magnus Nilsson, chef
- Alexis Pauline Gumbs, poet
- Sandor Ellix Katz, food writer and activist
- Jenna Wortham, podcast host and culture writer
- David Zilber, food scientist and author
- Sarah Cox, investigative journalist
A note on advertising
BESIDE Magazine is free of traditional advertising, with the exception of a few select sponsored articles developed with carefully chosen partners whose values and vision we admire.
Our magazine is printed in Quebec on Rolland Enviro paper, a 100 per cent post-consumer paper.
- Linda Besner
- Eirik Johnson
- Maximilian Mann
- Konda Mason
- Sophia Roe
- Astra Taylor
- Fabrice Vil
- and many more.
Issue 12, release date: June 7, 2022
Power. It’s a word that evokes control and oppression. But power has other meanings too. It can be inspiring, supportive, and constructive. It can lift us up. All of us. Most importantly, power can be shared.
In our 12th edition, BESIDE explores the many forms that power can take, especially when it is a force for good.
Browse previous issues and moreView shop
Do you mostly experience nature online, or in real life?
Our modern lives are increasingly marked by a tension between connection and disconnection, between new technologies and nature. How can we make these necessary extremes meet? Green Screen, the inaugural title of our BESIDE Journals, casts a curious, comical, and commonsense gaze upon this new reality—ours to embrace and to reinvent.DISCOVER OUR FIRST JOURNAL