Traditional Print Distribution is Broken.
In average, only 30% of print magazines handled by large distributors are sold, and the remaining 70% ends up thrown away. When working with these distributors, publishers are not only unable to reclaim their unsold magazines, but they can’t even target an adequate choice of retailers. BESIDE promotes both sustainability and creative entrepreneurship, and therefore it was essential that its distribution model reflect on these values. “We had to find an innovative way to distribute the first issue of our magazine while being true to our core values. So we have resigned our discussions with big distributors and imagined our distribution as a tool to get closer to our community across North America,” says Jean-Daniel Petit, BESIDE’s Creative Director.